Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Odds and ends

  • According to Hugo Chavez, the Cienfuegos oil refinery is about to start production after completion of a joint Cuban-Venezuelan refurbishment project. The refinery, built with Soviet aid and technology, has been idle since the early 1990’s when the Soviet Union collapsed.

  • And in the New York Sun, a review of “Soy Cuba” (1964), a Soviet-Cuban collaboration that the reviewer aptly calls “antique agitprop,” now on DVD.

  • An affectionate profile of Versailles, where the Fidel death watch continues, and the death itself will, apparently, be bad for business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw "I am Cuba" in 1995, here in Los Angeles. I liked it. It was kind of nostalgic. I was used to the melodrama and propaganda, growing up in Cuba. I just wanted to see how Havana looked like at the time the movie was filmed. I never knew this movie even existed. I never saw it in Cuba.